Apr 24, 2014
MAC Cosmetics, Urban Decay Naked, Dove, Lancôme and Maybelline Are Among the 35 Winners Chosen by Everyday Women
SheKnows’ Beauty Survey Reveals 76% of Respondents Would Prefer to See Real Women in Beauty Ads
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. and NEW YORK, NY – SheKnows (www.sheknows.com), a leading women’s media lifestyle platform with more than 40 million unique visitors per month, announced winners of the 2014 Real Woman Beauty Awards at its Spring Fling event on April 23 in New York City.
The SheKnows annual awards program celebrates products that real women turn to for their beauty needs – from concealers and foundation to lipstick and self-tanners. From a pool of 1,700-plus nominations across a wide range of product categories, SheKnows editors identified 35 winners – including MAC Cosmetics for Favorite Lipstick, Urban Decay Naked for Favorite Eye Shadow, Maybelline Great Lash for Most Iconic and Moroccanoil for Favorite Hair Oil. To view the full list of 2014 Real Woman Award winners, including products hand-selected by the SheKnows editorial team, see below.
“We recognize that the definition of beauty is as diverse as the woman you ask,” said Lea Ann Leming, SheKnows’ Chief Content Officer. “We also know women turn to each other for advice on the products they trust – whether it’s a hair oil to tame flyaways or mascara that lengthens eyelashes and doesn’t smudge. That’s what the Real Woman Beauty Awards are all about, and we were pleased to reveal the products everyday women stand by at our Spring Fling event – a celebration of inner and outer beauty.”
SheKnows also unveiled results of its new Beauty Survey at the event. More than 600 women of all ages and demographics responded to questions about their favorite beauty products and services, their biggest image concerns and what makes them feel beautiful. Highlights include:
• Despite one-third of women feeling beautiful as girls (29%) and teens (34%), on average just 9% would describe themselves as beautiful in adulthood – with 17% of women in their 20s feeling beautiful. That figure dwindles down to just 5% in their 50s and above. Women under 40 most often cite “taking good care of myself” as the main reason for feeling beautiful, while women over 40 cite “receiving compliments from others.”
• 72% of women who are mothers said they felt as beautiful or more beautiful when they were pregnant. Once they have children, 35% feel less beautiful with the majority citing lingering baby weight as the issue that bothers them most.
• Half of all women under age 50 have un-tagged an unflattering photo of themselves in social media.
• Lipstick is the #1 product women can’t live without, followed closely by foundation then mascara.
• About 57% of women learn about new beauty products from their family, friends and colleagues. Thirty-seven percent share beauty recommendations in social media and blogs.
• More than half of women feel it is important to use organic or all-natural beauty products.
• 36% say age-related issues like wrinkles and gray hair are their biggest beauty concern; weight issues follow at 29%.
• An overwhelming majority of women chose Jennifer Garner as the celebrity who best represents beauty when compared to Gwyneth Paltrow, Kim Kardashian and Rihanna.
• A whopping 76% said they would prefer to see real women in ads for beauty products. Seventy-two percent think the media and advertising industries set unrealistic beauty standards.
“From our award-winning editorial to our Experts Among Us program, SheKnows strives to inform, support, entertain and inspire everyday women, giving them a platform to express themselves and share their opinions with others,” said Philippe Guelton, Chief Executive Officer at SheKnows. “The Real Woman Beauty Awards is no exception, and we are thrilled to announce the products and services our users told us make them feel beautiful. Congratulations to all of the 2014 winners and finalists.”
Learn more about the 2014 Real Woman Beauty Awards here. For more data from the Beauty Survey, email Marketing@Sheknows.com.
2014 Real Woman Beauty Awards Winners
Favorite Lipstick: MAC Cosmetics
Favorite Eyeliner: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
Favorite Eye Shadow: Urban Decay Naked Palette
Favorite Foundation: bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Favorite Blush: NARS Blush in Orgasm
Favorite Bronzer: bareMinerals Warmth-All-Over Face Color
Favorite Concealer: Benefit Stay Don’t Stray
Favorite Mascara: Lancôme Hypnôse
Favorite Nail Polish: OPI
Favorite Makeup Remover for Face: Almay Oil-Free Makeup Remover Towelettes
Favorite Makeup Remover for Eyes: Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes and Lips
Favorite Cleanser: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Favorite Moisturizer: Philosophy Hope in a Jar
Favorite Exfoliator for Face: St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub
Favorite Exfoliator for Body: Burt’s Bees Honey & Shea Sugar Scrub
Favorite Self-Tanner: Beautisol Medium Self-Tanning Mousse
Favorite Acne Treatment: Mario Badescu Drying Lotion
Favorite Face Serum: FutureDerm Vitamin CE Caffeic Silk Serum 16+2
Favorite Eye Treatment: Embryolisse Radiant Eye
Favorite Sunscreen for Face: La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Tinted Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
Favorite Sunscreen for Body: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen
Favorite Lotion: Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe
Favorite Shampoo & Conditioner: Sebastian Drench
Favorite Dry Shampoo: TRESemmé Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo
Favorite Hair Oil: Moroccanoil Treatment
Favorite Styling Creams, Waxes & Sprays: Bumble and Bumble CitySwept Finish
Favorite Beach Wave Spray: Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray
Favorite Product for Curly Hair: DevaCurl No-Poo
Favorite Heat Protectant: Kérastase Resistance Ciment Thermique Heat Protective Strengthening Milk
Favorite Hair Mask: L’ANZA Healing Moisture Moi Moi Hair Masque
Beauty Doing Good (Brand): The Dove Campaign for Real Beauty
Beauty Doing Good (Individual): Logan Levkoff, Ph.D. and Jennifer Wider, M.D.
The Most Iconic: Maybelline Great Lash Mascara
Total Steals: Batiste Dry Shampoo
Best Product for Summer: Parissa Quick & Easy Wax Strips
Best Beauty Subscription Box: Goodebox
SheKnows, LLC is an award-winning women’s media platform and a top lifestyle site with a network of more than 40 million unique visitors per month (comScore). The SheKnows family of sites ranges from entertainment and parenting to beauty and food. Our mission is to connect women’s interests in real-time and in real voices, celebrating the everyday “experts among us.” We enable brands to distribute authentic content and integrated advertising at scale to influence preferences and drive purchases. SheKnows is headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. The company also operates internationally, with sites in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.
Corporate Public Relations Manager